Friday, February 11, 2011

Food Eater/Photographer

These courses are pushing me way out of my comfort zone when it comes to photos. This is a good thing, sometimes. Other times, I just get bored or frustrated and end up eating what I should be shooting (if it's food, of course).

The other week I had to shoot an "object" in 4 different locations, and end up with roughly 100 photos. We could choose any object, and any 4 locations. I am one of those people that likes to push my interpretation of instructions outside of the way I'm assuming they're meant to be followed. Mostly because I find restrictions so boring. So I decided to shoot something dynamic...something that I could shoot whole, taken apart or any place inbetween. My four locations were very loosely defined as well...a park, my dining room, a parking lot, and my window sill.  I like options.  This was my introduction to food photography and still life.

I chose a pomegranate. I know myself quite well. When I went to the store, I bought two. I had eaten one by the time I was only half-way done the assignment. Thank goodness for the other, which I ended up shooting in a parking lot (if anyone saw me in a parking lot with a knife, camera, and hands covered in bright red liquid...I swear I was cutting open a pomegranate). The shots came out awesome. The colour was great and it really did end up being quite a beautiful thing to shoot. (Those photos might eventually find their way up here...)

This assignment made me realize I would be a broke food photographer. Call me crazy, but if I see good looking food, there's a good chance I'm going to eat it. Especially if noone else is!

It also made me realize that my brain doesn't work in the way that is required to shoot still-life (so far).  I don't like setting up shots. I don't like constructing scenes and placing things here and there. I like going out and finding shots. I like traveling and exploring. Hopefully these classes will help me improve my skills as a photographer, regardless of what I'm shooting.

I ate too much sugar this week. Like candy, sugar. Felt horrible for it. So I made myself some healthy, yummy food and some lovely herbal tea. I stopped eating and drinking just long enough to shoot them both.






Bean Salad. Vancouver, 2011.









Tulsi Orchard Fruits Tea in a Tea Forte Mug. Vancouver 2011.







1 comment:

Mandy said...

MMM bean salad. <3